Sunday, July 29, 2012

Pride in yourself, Pride in your Country 7/28/12


There is one moment that definitely stands out at every Olympic Games that I have been a part of.  That moment is when Team USA enters the stadium at Opening Ceremonies.  It is absolutely thrilling to march into a packed stadium and hear the roar of the crowd as your country is announced.  I was so excited about this approaching moment that I had dreams about it for the past few months. Unfortunately, the decision was made to limit the number of coaches that were to march into the stadium with each team.  Water polo was awarded one spot and that was given to the women’s team, meaning that I was not going to have a chance to participate in the Opening.

Over the past few days, as the ceremonies approached, I was a bit depressed with the realization that I would not be walking into the stadium with my team.  I also felt very bad for my staff.  These guys have worked hard to make it to this moment and I would like to briefly honor them here.  My first assistant, Robert Lynn is participating in his third Olympic Games.  He marched in at Sydney as an athlete and he was a big part of our success in Beijing.  Robert is one of the best coaches in the world and I am lucky to have him on my team.  Marco Palazzo, our second assistant is at his first Olympics.  Marco is from Italy and he brings an international dimension to our staff. He played for the Italian national team but was never able to quite make the Olympic team.  He has dreamed since he was a child of marching into the stadium and representing his country.  Marco knows the international players better than anyone on our staff and provides great insight to all of our scouting report.  Rick McKee, our team leader, was a part of staff in Beijing.  He does so many little things behind the scenes and never gets much credit.  We could not be here without him. Dr. Karen Bloch, our team trainer, has kept this team healthy for the entire year.  She is a chiropractor and an athletic trainer and will do very well in the “real world” because she has a great healing touch.  Alex Ash, our strength training coach, has helped to initiate a state of the art strength program called P3.  This is a program that has been developed by Marcus Elliot MD, who works with the highest level athlete in all sports.  I feel that P3 has given us the competitive edge and we are stronger than we have ever been before.  Our video scout is Jack Kocur, who played for me at Pepperdine when we won a national championship.  Jack will be spending some long days here filming and coding game film to help develop scout films on each team.  Finally, we have a team doctor that works with both the men and the women.  Dr. Marcia Whalen has worked with our team and volunteered countless hours to help any and all of the players and coaches that have needed medical attention.  All of these people deserve recognition and I am sad that they will not experience the Opening Ceremonies in the stadium.

I certainly was not going to hang out in the Village and pout about not going to Opening.   My family arrived in London on Thursday and I decided to spend the time watching the Opening Ceremonies with them.  I listened to my Olympic music for much of the day while doing my work.  I was fired up for the Opening when I met up with my girls - Lori, Leanna, Sheridan and Lori’s sister Robin. We headed into town to the P and G family house.  This is a place where the Olympic families can go to meet up, relax, get a meal and watch the events on the big screen.  Proctor and Gamble is the sponsor this year and they have done a fantastic job.  The place decked out in red, white and blue.  Free food, drinks and lots of fun activities for the families.  There is a man cave where men can go and shoot pool, foosball or get pampered with a haircut or a shave.  There is also a big section for the women.  They can get free manicures, pedicures, hair cuts or have someone do their make up.  All the families can make phone calls (for no charge) to anywhere in the world.  The atmosphere is patriotic, fun and relaxed. 

The water polo families (parents and friends) had all decided to meet here and enjoy the   Opening Ceremonies together. Although, I was not with my team I felt that this was the next best thing.  I was with our family which includes all of my players parents, wives and friends. As I settled in to watch the ceremonies next to Lori and my daughters, I was comforted by their presence. When the Ceremonies began, they dropped thousands of red, white and blue balloons from the ceiling.  It was actually very cool.  Usually as the coaches and the athletes line up for Opening Ceremonies they do not get to watch the actual “show”.  Although, not in the stadium, I was able to take it all in with my family.  After a few hours, the “moment” approached when Team USA was to march into the stadium.  I could sense the excitement in the room.  While it was definitely different than being on the field it was still pretty awesome.  As our team marched into the stadium, I was able to find my team on television.  I saw the joy and excitement on their faces.  I felt like I was right their with them.  Memories poured into my mind about past Opening Ceremonies.  Marching into the LA Coliseum in 1984 had to be one of my favorites with the entire crowd chanting USA, USA, USA.  It was powerful.  I felt that same pride here.  In the 1984 Games, the announcer simply said “Pride in yourself and Pride in your Country” as Team USA marched in.  I heard that echo in my mind.  A pride in yourself for making your dream come true and having a chance to play for the gold.  A pride in your country.  There is no doubt that this is bigger than any individual and having the opportunity to represent our great country is a huge honor.  I would also like to add that there is a tremendous pride in your team.  When you work together towards a common goal on a team you become so connected that you want to win for each other and you are very proud of your team mates. 

Even though I was not able to march, I experienced another amazing Opening Ceremonies.  It was actually very nice to be with my family and share that moment together.  Now the real fun begins.  We go back to work today and continue to prepare for our first game on Sunday vs. Montenegro.  I am receiving so many emails wishing the team success.  They are all much appreciated.  Thank you.  I am very excited for this team... I believe that something very special is going to happen in the next two weeks.

See you at the pool

Coach

2 Comments:

Blogger cavalier said...

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post these. Your comments provide a wonderful perspective through a coach's eyes. Just watched the first winning game in a break from JO's in Palo Alto. We all send our love and good wishes!

July 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger owlandtheapple said...

I got some great information regarding Health in this post. The post is very informative. Thanks for posting it. Keep it up. rapid transformational therapist New York

December 29, 2020 at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home